Every year presents a new opportunity for a fresh start. Get ahead of the year and position yourself for success by doing the following.
1.Set goals early.
The only way progress can be measured is if goals are set. Get a pen and paper and get to work. I suggest you make goals in the following areas:
- Relationship goals: Make specific goals you want to achieve in your relationships. For example you might want to strengthen existing positive relationships, end negative and destructive relationships and build new positive relationships.
- Financial goals: Decide early what your financial goals are. Some examples of financial goals are reduction of debt or total clearing of debt, start saving or increase savings, increase your streams of incomes etc. You might also consider defining your financial goals in terms of your annual earning. This will require some work and investments in books, mentoring and finance but it will be worth it in the end.
- Educational/Academic goals: Set realistic educational goals to achieve in 2019. Completing or starting a course or degree is one example. You could also consider enrolling for an online course or program. The advantages of increasing your education is highlighted here; How to Increase Your Value.
- Physical goals: Do you want to lose weight, become more fit or build yourself. Do you want to improve your self-image? Set realistic and attainable goals with an action plan to achieve. If it helps, get a gym-buddy or someone you become accountable to.
- Spiritual goals: Set spiritual goals. For example, If you are a Christian you might consider setting a goal of reading the entire Bible during the year. You might also consider working on 2 or 3 gifts of the Spirit. With the help of the Holy Spirit you can also break the chains of destructive habits. You could also consider setting fasting and prayer goals.
2. Make the most of your time.
Time, they say, waits for no one. Make a conscious effort this year to use time productively.
You don’t want to regret not taking certain specific actions at the end of the year.
Decide to spend less time on frivolities and things which won’t positively contribute to your goals. As time is money, ensure you invest your time in fruitful endeavor. Decide to spend more time on what matters like spending time more with family and loved ones.
3. Be courageous…
This is probably easier said than done but the harsh reality is that if you and I want to be our best selves then we must be intentional and courageous. Intentional about our goals, we must take action. Enough blaming our past, our parents, perceived prejudices or past performance.
We must decide to take action, bearing in mind that we are masters of our own fate. No man can decide our fate unless we give them the power to.
Take on new challenges and new tasks. The quickest way to learn and increase your ability is by doing things you have never done before. Decide to not let fear limit you this year. Decide to be your best self. Get help if need be from supportive friends, family and even colleagues.
Here’s to a more fulfilling 2019!